[NFIMR] Ambient environmental factors related to SIDS?

Deidre Howell dbhowell at dhr.state.ga.us
Fri Jun 24 11:00:35 EDT 2011

All,
I am in Southeast Georgia, on the Coast, and we are currently experiencing huge amounts of smoke as a result of fires in the Okeefenokee Swamp. The smoke has risen from the GA/FL line all the way up to the South Carolina border and beyond. Additionally, I believe we are getting some effects from fires in FL as well. This has been going on since the end of April. The smoke is so thick at times that we have to drive with our headlights on.
I will be curious to see if our SIDS cases spike in the regions being affected by the smoke. So far, we haven't had a case in my county but I will inquire in my district and also contact our district Epi to see if he has noticed anything.
Thanks for asking this question and for giving us something more to think about.
Deidre Howell, BSN,MPA
Administrator, Liberty County Health Department
Hinesville, GA

>>> "Abby Bourgeois" <abourgeois at healthystarthhp.org> 6/23/2011 2:00 PM >>>
Mary,

I can't speak for all the southern states but as far as I know, I don't
think we've seen any association here in Florida in terms of anything that's
been officially documented. Since environmental toxins/pollutants aren't
typically something that can be seen externally, I think as mentioned
previously a full literature review should be conducted to see if there is
in fact evidence of infant mortality increases when rates of pollutants (in
home and in the community) are higher than normal. Perhaps I will tackle
this issue for my graduate thesis!