[NFIMR] Ambient environmental factors related to SIDS?

Abby Bourgeois abourgeois at healthystarthhp.org
Thu Jun 23 08:41:46 EDT 2011

Anne,

This is a very interesting question, thank you for bringing it up. I've done
a bit of a literature review and I think this MAY be explained either one of
two ways or using a combination of both speculations (assuming that it
wasn't a coincidence that the deaths occurred in the same area).

1- studies have been done that find a slight association between ambient air
pollution and the risk for LBW and/or preterm birth. It might be worth
looking into the infants birth history to see if they would be at risk for
SIDS based on LBW or preterm status

2- there has been an association found between air pollution and risk of
infant mortality

(see the attached article for specifics)

Either air pollution after birth or prenatal exposure to pollution may have
put the infants at risk and co-sleeping added as an external stressor
probably increased the likelihood of death significantly. I'm thinking that
the triple risk hypothesis could be at play here with the external stressor
being the co-sleeping, the air pollution being the underlying vulnerability
and then being infants they were in the critical stage required for SIDS to
occur. Something to consider at least.

Abby Bourgeois
Provider Liaison/FIMR Coordinator
Healthy Start Coalition of Hardee, Highlands & Polk Counties, Inc
We've Moved! Please note our new phone number and address as of June 1st
650 E Davidson Street
Bartow, FL 33830
Phone: 863-534-9224
Fax: 863-519-8111
abourgeois at healthystarthhp.org
www.healthystarthhp.org

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any files transmitted with it are
confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to
whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please
notify the sender by email, delete and destroy this message and its
attachments.