[NFIMR] Ambient environmental factors related to SIDS?

Patricia Tackitt ptackitt at comcast.net
Tue Jun 21 16:03:46 EDT 2011

Hi Kelly and Anne,
I appreciate Kelley's wisdom.  We've been seeing the same thing, for
many years.

We had 5 babies die in a 2 day period in Wayne Co, MI in July either
last year, or maybe it was 2009.  When we finished the investigations
the risks were 4 - unsafe sleep in bedsharing situations with mom and
sibs, and one died in soft bedding, in adult bed, prone, alone.
Sleeping baby supine, in a safety approved crib, with nothing in the
crib but the baby and a pacifier - saves lives. We totally support
room sharing, but not bedsharing.

I work on FIMR in Michigan, in Wayne Co and on CDRT in Wayne Co and
Detroit.  We do not find SIDS deaths and have not for over 8 years,
We find suffocations, some accidental manners and some homicide.

Pat Tackitt RN, MS
WCMEO - Pediatric Mortality Investigations
FIMR - Detroit, MI
734 306-3452